Wonder what you would find if you frisked Steven Crowder’s trip to Detroit, Michigan?
Finally! The video arrived yesterday. If you recall from my previous posts, I added the teaser of this video in a post about Detroit’s outrageous unemployment – Check it out here.
Since I am from the greater Lansing area of Michigan, I was excited to see what Crowder came up with. The result? I liked it. Granted, it does depict Detroit as America’s own Hiroshima, but one thing is definitely correct in this video: Detroit is a complete liberal bureaucratic nightmare.
Allahpundit (from Hot Air) offered his own critique of the video:
Other American cities have been dominated by the left for decades too, from Berkeley to D.C., and none have the Hiroshima-after-the-blast feel that Motown does. (Democrats currently outnumber Republicans on the New York City Council 46-3.)
While his point somewhat holds true, I have to disagree with him overall. Yes, I agree that Detroit might be the extreme example of liberal a dominance over the years, but that doesn’t mean the same bureaucratic nightmares can’t occur within another major city. Also, I would like to point out that Washington D.C. is funded by federal money and without it… It would probably look like Detroit too. Not to mention the poverty stricken areas outside of Berkeley, Cleveland, Milwaukee, and other cities.
On the other hand, here are some interesting facts in this video:
- Detroit’s mayor has been a Democrat for the last 50 years – go figure.
- The students of Detroit receive (on average) $11,100 per student compared to the national average of $9,600 per student.
- Detroit’s graduation rate is a whopping 25%.
- A Detroit student has a higher chance of ending up in prison than graduating high school… Depressing.
- Hybrid cars count for 2% of the market share and America makes more hybrid models than foreign companies.
- Car companies rarely make a profit on hybrid vehicles and analysis believe Honda is still losing money on each Prius sold (the #1 hybrid).
- UAW employees receive 7 weeks paid vacation a year!
- Maintain job banks – where employees aren’t technically fired. Instead they are just sent to these ‘job banks’ where they’re paid almost full wages NOT to work.
- On average, an UAW employee makes $74/hour in salary & benefits. Compare that to the $42/hour average salary of a Japanese auto-worker.
Okay… You get the picture! Watch the video to check out more interesting facts.
If you are interested in reading more about the downfall of Detroit, read my post I did on it by clicking here.
Side-Note: Although this video shows Detroit in a negative light, there are areas of Detroit that are really nice… They are just very limited, haha.
*UPDATE* – December 23, 2009
Earlier this morning Steven Crowder discussed his latest video – the one posted above – on FOX & Friends. Check it out:
And please do not forget to…